Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Deep breaths

Today I felt like my head might explode. I'm sure it started having something to do with the election. Just all the talking and speculating and electoral votes and by the time I went to bed last night my head was spinning. And I woke up wondering, turning the TV on as soon as I got up.

And today, the kids were so talky. I think it was because we were out of school yesterday and tomorrow we have a field trip. Double whammy. And in the business of second grade, routine and order is the best way to go. So this week and all its changes were just enough to make the kids off task. Even the best behaved kids didn't follow directions today.

To add to it, we had standardized testing today. Then, I had to start a new unit on mealworms. (Yes, you read that right. We are studying their life cycles and habitats.) So, each student got their own mealworm to observe daily. So exciting to a 7 year old. Next, I adminstered another test that I do monthly to see how many words each student can read in one minute. Almost all the kids I tested today went down. So discouraging considering how hard I'm working with them. Then, I had to go to a class after school for gifted and talented teachers. When I got home I had to complete an assignment for the class. And somewhere in there I had to get everything ready for the field trip tomorrow.

Nothing huge, just a bunch of events that made my nerves wind tighter and tighter until I thought they might break!

Which made my Bible study tonight even more relevant..."Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) "Christ himself is our peace." (Ephesians 2:14a)

Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Deep breaths are definitely needed! Sounds like you are crazy busy. I hope the field trip went well. The weekend is near! I'm coming to Chas tomorrow and CAN'T WAIT! Miss you, love ya.-- Kelly

    ReplyDelete